Raised so far
Join us on February 29th as we walk 31 kilometres (option available to complete a half circuit of 17 kms) throughout Tasmania's stunning Freycinet National Park and support young Australians living with cancer.
Each year 23,000 young people are affected by a cancer diagnosis and each year over 500 young people from Tasmania are affected by cancer within their family. We know that these young people are 3- 6 times more likely to experience high level of psychological distress. CanTeen is currently only reaching 15% of this population. Your effort will help us to spread the CanTeen message and funds raised through will help CanTeen to continue providing overnight programs, peer-based recreation days, and access to tailored individual support.
The Freycinet National Park is home to dramatic pink granite peaks, secluded bays, white sandy beaches and an abundance of wildlife. The Freycinet Peninsula Circuit travels around the Hazard Mountains to Hazards Beach and continues south to Cooks and Bryans Beaches. Walkers will cross the Peninsula over a heathland plateau next to Mount Freycinet where spectacular views are possible before descending to the white, quartz sands of Wineglass Bay. Those wishing to do the half circuit of 17 km will walk with the group to Hartz Beach but will then cross the isthmus to Wineglass Bay Beach and continue up the final hurdle taking in the views from the Wineglass Bay Lookout.
So, whether you’re an avid bushwalker or a trekking newbie, with a range of distances, scenery and terrain there’s something for everyone, and we’d love to have you on board!
- Cost: $120.00
- Distance: 31 km or 17 km
- Difficulty Level: Medium
- Approximate Walking Time: 11 hours (31 km) or 5-6.5 hrs (17 km)
- Start Time: 6:00am
- Starting Location: Wineglass Bay carpark
- Registration Closes: 14th of February
- 28th February: Arrival & overnight stay
- 29th February: Hike the Light Event Day (& overnight stay)
- 1st March: Departure
- 2 nights’ accommodation at Big 4 Iluka on Freycinet
- Meals including: A light supper on Fri 28th through to breakfast on the 1st of March; meals during the hike consist of snacks (nuts, fruit, muesli bars, chocolate), lunch (vita wheats & condiments) and water
- End of Event Celebration Evening
- Bus/Car transfers from Hobart & return (airport for interstate trekkers)
- National Park Entry Pass
- Big 4 Iluka on Freycinet: Comfortable 2 bedroom cabins in a bunk bed style.
- Address: Reserve Road, Coles Bay, Tasmania 7215 (Approximately 170km North-East of Hobart).
We will ask all participants to make their way to either:
- CanTeen Tasmania office on Friday, 28th February 2020 by 3.30pm – 146 Harrington Street, Hobart
- Hobart International Airport on Friday, 28th February 2020 by 4.00pm. We will then be travelling via private bus to Big4 Iluka on Freycinet; or
- Meet at Big4 Iluka on Freycinet by 8.00pm
There is a $500 fundraising minimum to take part in Hike the Light
CanTeen will provide you with all the fundraising support and tools you’ll need to hit your targets. All fundraising requirements are in addition to your registration fee. All funds raised will go towards helping transform the lives of young Tasmanians living with cancer.
There will be prizes for the highest fundraiser, as well as ‘event awards’ to hand out on Saturday night after the hike.